Tuesday, December 27, 2011

The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, M.D. "Edited by" Nicholas Meyer

Finally, a wonderful Holmes pastiche! And I say that as someone who is probably a bit hyper-defensive of Holmes and Watson. Normally I'm ridiculously pedantic when it comes to my beloved Holmes and Watson...the fact that people even have the sheer nerve to try to impersonate or resurrect them rankles me automatically.As I've admitted openly in previous posts, when it comes to the Canon I'm a pedantic purist (and apparently an alliterative one at that). If the pair must be visually portrayed, only Jeremy Brett will do.

But this, I have to say, was pitch perfect in plot and narrative style and a great one-sitting read. You see, it's 1865 in London and a rash of strange occurrences are shaking up the dodgy theater district, including a murder, a socialite getting her throat slashed, two corpses disappearing along with a plastic surgeon. To solve the mystery, Holmes and Watson find themselves meeting a host of interesting people: Bram Stoker, Ellne Terry, Bernard Shaw, Henry Irving, and of course, Oscar Wilde.

Oh, and the suspect's name? You guessed it: Jack. 

No comments:

Post a Comment